Me and my kiddo

Me and my kiddo

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Objectivist Round Up

Welcome to the March 29, 2012 edition of objectivist round up.  This one is a little small, so lets start off with some inspiration from Helen Keller.  While she was both deaf and blind from a young age, she famously overcame those obstacle to become an eloquent individual.  While I don't recommend the whole letter, this quote is from a letter she wrote in answer to what she "saw" and "heard" after visiting the top of the Empire State building.  


"...I see in the Empire Building [] passionate skill, arduous and fearless idealism. The tallest building is a victory of imagination. Instead of crouching close to earth like a beast, the spirit of man soars to higher regions, and from this new point of vantage he looks upon the impossible with fortified courage and dreams yet more magnificent enterprises.

What did I "see and hear" from the Empire Tower? As I stood there 'twixt earth and sky, I saw a romantic structure wrought by human brains and hands that is to the burning eye of the sun a rival luminary. I saw it stand erect and serene in the midst of storm and the tumult of elemental commotion. I heard the hammer of Thor ring when the shaft began to rise upward. I saw the unconquerable steel, the flash of testing flames, the sword-like rivets. I heard the steam drills in pandemonium. I saw countless skilled workers welding together that mighty symmetry. I looked upon the marvel of frail, yet indomitable hands that lifted the tower to its dominating height..."
Helen Keller 
1932


Here's to appreciating the beautiful and good in our world!
This week's Objectivist Round Up:


Edward Cline presents Islamic Jihad: Hurry Up or Wait? posted at The Rule of Reason, saying, "I liken Islam to an ideological Black Death that must be faced up to by politicians and intellectuals. There's no such thing as a "benign" Islam. It is a death-worshipping ideology from top to bottom. And the only way to emasculate it is to repudiate it in its entirety."



Darius Cooper presents A citizenship questionnaire posted at Practice Good Theory, saying, "I propose a constitution should include a multiple-choice quiz!"


John Drake presents Sunk costs, body image, and rationality posted at Try Reason!, saying, "What do sunk costs, body image, and rationality have in common? More than you may think."



Peter Cresswell presents CUE CARD ECONOMICS: Economic Harmonies, and The Miracle of Breakfast posted at Not PC, saying, “Find out the best lesson philosophers can learn from economics—which is also the greatest lesson economics is able to teach, and the most benevolent.”


Rachel Miner presents Tool Box: Rediscovering Simon Says posted at The Playful Spirit, saying, "I briefly share my rediscovering of Simon Says with my eight year old and some of the tricks I used to make it more fun!"

That concludes this edition. Submit your blog article to the next edition of the objectivist round up using our carnival submission form. Past posts and future hosts can be found on our blog carnival index page.



Technorati tags:

, .

No comments:

Post a Comment